Residency Visa and Temorary Visas
Must be requested from SEF (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras). For detailed information consult their site
Tax ID Numer (NIF)
This number can be requested from any Finance office, citizens stores (lojas de cidadão) and in Portuguese Consulates. For a list of citizen store locations consult their site
Driving & Driving License
To exchange your driving license from your country to Portugal, go to IMT (Mobility and Transportation Institute). For detailed information consult their site
For your driving in Portugal, you should know basic rules. Here are some very important ones.
- Children under 12 years of age may not sit in the front seat of the car unless they are at least 150cm (59″) tall.
- Booster seats are required for children riding in the back seat up to age 12.
- When driving in Portugal, seat belts are required by law. Failure to fasten safety belts may result in a hefty ticket, not to mention serious injury in case of an accident.
- Fluorescent vests and road triangles must be carried in the vehicle, to be used in the event of engine trouble. Fortunately, all car rentals in Portugal include this gear at no extra charge.
- Wearing sunglasses while driving though tunnels is illegal in Spain.
- Insurance and other related documents must be kept in the vehicle at all times.
- Vehicles must not be parked opposite the flow of traffic.
- On roundabouts, stay in the center lane until you find your exit. Then, carefully merge to the outside lane directly before exiting.
- Traffic citations are subject to immediate payment, so have a payment method on hand when driving in Portugal, just in case.
Driver License Renewal
Visit AMA – Agência para a Modernização Administrativa (Agency for Administrative Modernisation) at ama.gov.pt Click on Atendimento then Loja de Cidadao or Espaco. You will see Consulte aqui a Rede de Lojas (espacos) de Cidadao at bottom. Click and find location closest to you. (sometimes medical certificates are required) (info courtesy of portugalresident.com)
Car registration in another EU country – Portugal
GOOD TO KNOW
Best banks for expats
4. Banco BPI
Top Investment banks in Portugal
So you want to make your way around the city but you want to blend in. Then take all the normal transportation that “Lisbonites” take and you will feel like one of them. Use Carris.pt to view three options for travel-trams, buses and elevators. Lets face it, the train is the fastest, but not always the most convenient and you cannot see and experience anything underground. But if you must train it (like for work), visit this site .
Transport around Portugal (N/S) and over the border (Spain and beyond).
National and International: https://www.rede-expressos.pt/
International Travel by Train advice-consult https://www.seat61.com/
Did you know that children can travel for free on all transportation in Lisbon until they are 18 years old. There are even provisions for students in higher education up to the age of 23 and 24 (certain cases). There are also discounts for senior citizens, lets not count them out. For detailed information on registering for the various discounts please consult Carris, site . Also visit this site for more information on the Viva Card.
Various outlets exist to help you busy your child/children with sports, learning and character building activities. One easy way is Clube Ola. As part of the club you will get discounts to various activities, camps and local things to do for your little ones as well as free entrances as selected locations. Check out the site for details on registering and for all of Ola’s partners
New Schools Sept 2020
Several museums and national monuments are free on Sundays and holidays until 2:00 pm for all residents in national territory. For detailed information consult their site .
Emergency Calling System
112 is the only emergency number in Portugal.
Most operators speak English, but it is important to try and speak clearly and slowly, which can be difficult in stressful situations. For more information pleas check out the site below.